Since its inception in 1991, Cure HHT has been working tirelessly to raise awareness about HHT, improve treatments, and increase patient access to care.
- Facilitated the 2019 Christopher McMahon Memorial International HHT Guidelines Conference in Toronto, Canada, which was funded by a generous donation by the McMahon family. The conference sets the standard of care for HHT internationally, and included 36 recommendations for screenings, diagnosis and treatment of HHT, and will result in long awaited protocols for pediatrics, pregnancy, anemia, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver AVMs and cardiac involvement.
- Opened 2 new Centers of Excellence (CoEs) in North America, including Winnipeg HHT CoE and Stanford Medical Center.
- 13th annual HHT International Conference held in Puerto Rico that included over 200 scientists, medical professionals and patients from 21 countries and 6 continents.
- Teamed up with Backpack Health to offer a free online health management tool to help those affected by HHT track their family's vital health information. Users are also able to choose to participate in the Cure HHT Patient Registry, where anonymous HHT related data can help researchers advance a cure.
- Brought awareness to HHT with major coverage in The New York Times and The Washington Post.
- Launched new Cure HHT website featuring comprehensive resource library, educational materials and research for global HHT community.
- Released My HHT Tracker, the first free HHT iOS app, for HHT patients to track nosebleeds and other critical medical information and securely share with physicians.
Department of Defense PRMP awarded $10 Million to five HHT researchers in a program project grant
Congressman David E. Price secured federal funding for the new HHT pilot initiative, collaborating with 3 existing Hemophilia Treatment Centers to evaluate and manage HHT in underserved areas
Funded and organized the 12th International Scientific & Research Conference in Dubrovnik, Croatia, hosting over 200 researchers and scientists from 23 countries, $76,250
Updated protocols and standards for new and existing HHT Centers of Excellence
Engaged with FDA to work on establishing a pipeline of opportunities for therapeutic drug treatment of HHT
- Offered over 30 webinars, reaching thousands of HHT patients and their families
- Creation of North American Therapeutics group focused on prioritizing opportunities to increase HHT multi-center clinical research and translational research in North America
- Expanded to 25 HHT Centers of Excellence in North America
- Celebrated the foundation's 25th anniversary
Launched the Young Scholar Research Program, investing $150,000 in young scholars
Funded and organized the 11th Scientific & Research Conference in Captiva, Florida hosting 185 researchers from around the world, $33,000
Became Cure HHT to reflect our progress and aspirations
Through Cure HHT efforts, the Defense Appropriations Bill was passed, adding malformation-related conditions, including HHT, to the list of eligible research topics, granting HHT researches access to over $247 Million in federal grants
Launched the HHT Physician Directory, a database accessible to families in need of HHT care and support
Expanded to 20th HHT Center of Excellence established in North America
- Supported the nosebleed study in collaboration with Stanford University
Began providing educational HHT Webinars
Expanded to 19 HHT Centers of Excellence in North America
Funded the 1st North American Outcomes Registry, $131,000
- Funded 1 HHT research grant totalling $35,000
Appointment of 1st Cure HHT Scientific Research Director, Dr. Marie Faughnan, St. Michael's Hospital / University of Toronto HHT Center of Excellence
Funded 1 HHT research grant totalling $50,000
Conducted Continuing Medical Education Courses to physicians and healthcare professionals
Funded and organized production of 1st professional HHT Awareness video
Supported the 9th International HHT Scientific & Research Conference in Antalya, Turkey
Launched first non-surgical Multi-Center Clinical Research study on Nosebleed treatments
- Expanded to 14 HHT Centers of Excellence in North America
HHT Diagnosis and Treatment Act (DATA Act) was introduced in the House and Senate
Managed HHT collaborative process for cerebral AVM NIH Consortia Grant. Cure HHT was the catalyst in establishing HHT Brain Vascular Research Consortia funded at NIH to understand the predictability or brain hemorrhage
Passage of the HHT Resolutions in United States Congress declaring June as National HHT Awareness Month
Funded 4 HHT research grants totalling $170,000
Appointment of first Cure HHT Medical Director, Dr. James Gossage, Augusta University
Committed to add two new centers of excellence annually to increase patient access to expert care throughout North America
First CDC sponsored HHT conference focused on Determining the true prevalence of HHT in the US, Early HHT identification and intervention by health care professionals, and Adoption and Dissemination of HHT Clinical Guidelines.
Funded first nosebleed patient assessment tool (Epistaxis Severity Score)
- Total of 11 HHT Centers of Excellence in North America
- Hosted first of 7 Capitol Hill Days in Washington DC to educate lawmakers and explain financial impact of HHT on healthcare system to gain HHT federal recognition and funding
Funded 4 HHT research grants, totalling $200,000
Sponsored the First HHT Clinical Guidelines Conference, which resulted in an HHT International general consensus in diagnosing, screening and treating HHT and is a guidebook for HHT diagnosis, treatment, and management
Collaborated with NIH to sponsor an NIH Conference which identified priorities for HHT research
- Established the Dr. Robert I. White, Jr. Young Clinician Award to recognize Dr. White's vision in establishing the foundation, mentoring young HHT physicians around the world and his compassionate care of patients
- Expanded to 9 HHT Centers of Excellence in North America
- Awarded the first HHT research funding, $55,000 for Basic and Clinical research
- Obtained Release of HHT Gene Patents, making genetic testing possible for all patients in North America.
- Funded 3 genetic testing laboratories in North America
- First HHT Capital Research Funding Campaign launched
HHT Research Grant Program established
Total of 3 HHT Centers of Excellence in North America
- HHT article published in the New England Journal of Medicine
First Patient & Family Conference held in Columbus, Ohio
- First Scientific and Medical Advisory Board established
HHT Foundation International, Inc. established by Dr. Robert I. White, Dr. Bruce Jacobson and a small group of patients
First HHT Center of Excellence established at Yale University School of Medicine by Dr. Robert I. White